So Randy and I have walked with The Lord for nearly 30 years. We’ve sought Him, we’ve served Him, we’ve studied His Word, we’ve prayed and we’ve seen His faithfulness first hand! We’ve prayed many countless times through the years together, interceding for our children, our marriage, one another. I’ve watched Randy grow in Christ sometimes pole pole (slowly) and sometimes right before my eyes.
Last week, after some challenges, disappointments, set backs, several very long months of language study, after feeling defeated and inept in our studies… We made a decision to go away… to set apart… With purpose. We realized our need and had a great desire to seek our God, to hear from Him, to wait on Him, to rest in Him and to expect that in His faithfulness He would reveal, speak, meet, refresh and totally pour Himself out!
We had an amazing weekend! Randy felt we should go though the book of Ecclesiastes together????? Ahhhh okay? We first read straight through it and still, I thought, ahhhh hmmmm okay?? Then we began to dig in a bit deeper.
Written by Solomon… The wisest man, the richest man… It is thought provoking as he writes of so much… “Under the sun”. That phrase is used 29 times! Constantly he wrote of the things “under the sun” with no real eternal perception throughout most his writing. While we are not finished going through this book, Gods purpose for us to take a look, at a book I must confess I’ve never spent much time at all in, His purpose is certainly to remind me I can NOT be looking at my life, this mission, Kenya, Kisii, Randy, my children, my grandchildren, my “pain”, my upsets…. I cannot be looking at these things… “under the sun”… but rather… through and in the SON!!!
It is clear that apart from Christ and an eternal perspective… There is very little… actually… there is nothing left!
As God is refining me, refining us… I am more and more in awe that He would invite me to be apart of HIS plan.
We had such a sweet time together, enjoying His creation, taking advantage of our Kenya resident status, and prices, setting ourselves apart and with purpose, seeking Him, as I must also confess…. We’ve really never done
together like this before in prayer and fasting. And I can say it WILL happen regularly!
As a result of our time we have made some plans subject only to His Hand. We will remain here in language school through May. We then will spend a couple weeks gathering supplies, packing and finalizing some things here. Then we will take another week to do as we just did… Set apart and sit before Him. After that we will head to Kisii, move in and spend that last week of June settling in. Also during this time, Randy will be preparing for his first session.
He will teach 2 ten week sessions this year. Each session will have seats for 8 men and will meet three days a week for 6 hours a day.
I will be going back to the states mid October so as not to miss a very special wedding! Randy will fly out Dec 5 or so after his second session and we will break for the holidays, returning early January to begin again.
We have a number of specific prayer requests…
1. Pray for a continued drawing to Him. Pray for our walk, our commitment, our prayer time, our time in the Word, pray for our abiding in Him…. Apart from which… Is only under the sun.
2. Pray for our language learning. We are actually making sentences and can carry on a simple, albeit, broken conversation!
3. Pray for Kisii. Pray for those men God is already preparing to take through His Word.
4. Pray for the orphanage and school. Pray that God will direct the next steps there and that He would be glorified through the outreach to young people who have no one. This arm of the ministry is on the alter for Gods direction. Pray for wisdom, discernment and for specific leading as a we move forward.
5. Pray for those God has called to teach His Word.. That they will guard the treasure, study to show themselves approved, rightly dividing the Truth. Pray for them as they minister to their flocks.
6. These people know the stories of the Bible probably better than you or I. But I am finding that few are actually walking with Christ, abiding in Him and actually understand the Gospel. Pray for hearts like our teacher Peter… Who pastors a church down the road. Pray for those God wants to put that heart in!
7. Pray for Gods provision. We have a few expenses not budgeted for or not budgeted enough for. God has been amazing to provide and we know He will continue.
8. Pray for the next phase of adjustments and cultural shock as we move up to the village.
9. Join us in thanking and praising God for some very encouraging brothers and sisters… Both in the states and in Kenya! We are blessed beyond measure. I was pretty humbled by the outreach of encouragement after my blog about my Jericho wall. Our family back home shot through the miles to embrace me. And we have been blessed by amazing missionary friends here — most with years of experience — and each one opening wide their arms and their hearts. Oh God is so so good!
10. Finally, please pray for protection from the enemy. Please seriously intercede for us. Know we have a prayer journal we are faithful to go through… We welcome opportunities to pray specifically for you.
Tu basi… That is all!
We love you and thank you and praise our God for you as well!
Randy & Kari
Hi Papa and Mama Saul,you guys look GREAT! I am happy that you could get away,back to God,s creations.I so enjoyed your pictures.We pray and think of you always.Counting the days to see and hug you both…Your sister,Pat
This morning after our morning devotional together I read your blog as you encouraged us to do and it really encouraged to be in prayer for you guys. While I was praying the Lord led me to this passage of scripture which compliment your reading in Ecclesiastes so I thought I would share it with you. Hebrews 11: 8-16. May your faith be as Abraham and Sarah and even more so since we have seen the Promise through the Gospel of Lord Jesus. You are in my prayers and close to my heart. Love, Arry
Randy and Kari, You both are always in my prayers and remember I love you both with all my heart. Stay safe, Love, Mom
We are praying… Love Matthew, Mary Rose and Baby Helen Rose!!
Uncle Ran Ran and Aunt Kiki, We have a picture of Africa on our prayer wall over our dining room table and you are thought of so much more than you could imagine. My heart prays for you often! Caleb still has your little Redskins bear that you gave him so many years ago Ran Ran. He is our sentimental one…not sure where he gets that trait from…lol…Anyway, we love you, May God be with you both and bless you as you are walking under the sun and in the Son. Love, Jay, Denise, Caleb, Joshua and Daniel. .
Dear Kari and Randy, sorry I haven’t written sooner. Chuck has been ill with lung problems, but is doing some better now. I wanted you to know that through his illness, we too have experienced a new closer walk with our Lord. We spend time every morning in the word and in prayer. We never had time before.to do this together, and it has been such a precious time for us. The Holy Spirit is so alive in our times of worshiping Him. We too are learning how to truly take His hand and depend on Him for strength. We are adding you both onto our prayer list. By the way, we just became great-grandparents. Jerry’s son Justin and his wife had a baby girl born May 2. Her picture is on my facebook page. Love, Jane and Chuck
I will be praying for you two every day and always. I love you both and pray for all your prayers to be answered. Thank you for being faithful servants…Peace and love